Main Article Content
Out of 1250 bovine fasciolliasis. 10 cattle were found to have lung fascioliasis, one cow had abomasal fascioliasis and another one wih renal fascioliasis.
The recovered flukes were identified as immature spec imens of Fassciola gigantica .Gross and histopathology of the lesions were studied. The occurrence of Fasciola gigantica in kideny and abomasum was recorded for the first time :
Introduction Infection with Fasciola gigantica is an important cause of disease and economic loss in domestic animals in many parts of the world. Among the effects attributed 10 flucke infection are loss of condition , reduced meat and milk production reduced fertility and rendering of livers unsuitable for human consumpiior. . Severe infection may cause death either directly or indirecily by inzitiating or aggravating bacterial infection (1). One of the reasons making F.gigantica more pathogenic ihan F.hepatica is frequent ecotopic occurence of F.gigantica in most of the domestic animal species (1,2,3).
Ectopic ovine F.gigantica infection was reported in spleen, lung, heart, diphragm and portal vein, in additional the liver (4,5). In cattle F.hepatica_ could only produce lesions in the liver but F.gigantica extended its pathogenic effects to the lung tissue (3,6).
The aim of this study is to elucidate the occurence of F.gigantica in organs other than the liver with parasitological and pathological investigation.
2. Guraip, N. (1967). The present situation of F. gigantica infection in Turkey . The second international liver fluke
colloguim , The Netherland , 1967, 61-62.
3. Haroun , E.M. and Hussein , M.F. (1976). Some clinicop athological aspects of experimental F. gigantica infection
in calves . J. Helminthol . 50:29-30.
4. Guralp, N.;Ozcan, C. and Simms , B.T. (1964) Fasciola gigantica and fascioliasis in Turky.
Am. J. Vet.Rec.25:196-210.
5. Abbass, M.K. ; Altaif, K.I.and Al- Zubaidy ,A.J. (1988). Studies on the pathogenicity of fascioliasis due to experi
mental infection with metacercariae of F.gigantica in Iraq . Clinical parasitological and pathological finding. Vet. Med. Rev.779:143-157.
6. Urquart , G.M. ; Armour ,J.; Duncan , J.C.; Dunn, A.M. and Jennings, F.W. (1987). Vet.parasitology.Longman
7. Boray, J.C. (1967).Studies on experimental infection with F. hepatica with particular reference to acute fascioliasis in sheep
Ann. Trop. Med. Parasitol. 61:439-450.
8. Sahba , G.H.; Arfaa, F. ; Farahmandian ,1 . and Jalali, H.(1972) Animal fascioliasis in Khuzestan , South Western Iran , J.Para
9. Al-Naamy ,R.A.S. (1978) Studies on some aspects of ovine fascioliasis in Iraq .M.Sc.Thesis University of Baghdad.
10. Abd-Al-ruzak, A.T.(1988).Some pathological effects caused
by liver fluke F.gigantica in cattle .M.Sc.Thesis. University of Basrah.
11. Jubb,K.V.F.; Kenedy , P.C. and Palmer , N. (1985).Patholo - gy of domestic animals. Vol.2, 34. ed.. Academic press, New York.